This is great. The feeling of fast keyboard-only movement and menu navigation is bringing me to a kind of muscle memory that I haven't used since The Magic Candle II, which is a super welcome throwback. The way you have to dance around enemies to get the drop on them is interesting, too---there's more strategy to it than it seems at first glance. Very cool!
Dungeon of Flowers
A downloadable game for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
Dungeon of Flowers is a short, simple roguelike game.
This game was made in a little over two weeks for the A Game By Its Cover Jam 2016.
The game was inspired by the Famicom cartridge art created by Jeremy Hobbs.
A Windows executable file is provided for Windows users. Mac and Linux users can download the .love file, which requires LOVE2d to play.
The object of the game is to reach the lowest level of the Dungeon of Flowers and escape alive.
Bump into monsters to fight them, collect healing items and equipment to boost your stats and increase your chance for survival.
Press [SPACE] to pick up items and close doors.
You can close doors to block monsters' paths.
Press [ESCAPE] to open your menu. Equipment will boost your attack and defense, which will also increase as you defeat enemies. Equip items from your Inventory menu.
Healing items are very important, so do not be afraid to use them in order to stay alive.
[WASD] or [ARROW KEYS] to move
[ENTER] to confirm menu choices
[ESCAPE] to open and close the menu during play
[SPACE] to close doors and pick up items
[P] creates a screenshot
Screenshots are saved to a folder in your user directory:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\ or %appdata%\
- Windows Vista and 7: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\LOVE or %appdata%\
- Linux: $XDG_DATA_HOME/love/ or ~/.local/share/
- Mac: /Users/your username/Library/Application Support/
[ALT+F4] exits the game without saving
[F1] or [F11] toggles fullscreen
 toggles fancy screen effects
Bugs and Game Balance
This game may be buggy. Sorry.
The game is probably not well-balanced. Sorry.
You can send feedback about the game via this itch.io page
The game is free of charge, but if you enjoyed playing or reading about its development on my blog, feel free to make a donation. :)
Game art provided by Quale, licensed under Creative Commons.
The Famicase art that inspired this game was provided by Ribbon Black.
- Fixed incorrect itemtype for Leather Armor
- Fixed crash relating to heavy shield item spawns
- Fixed black screen on resize when using fancy screen effects
- Fixed crash relating to Cyclops enemy spawns
- Tweaked camera follow values so the player stays more centered on the screen
- Armor is now correctly added
- Improved base player stats and HP because the game was way too hard otherwise and everyone was dying to the first enemy they encountered :(
- Fixed a crash relating to Lich enemy spawns
- Fixed enemies not actually rolling for their HP and only getting the default value of 10
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Do I have permission to make a video about this game and put it up on my youtube channel?
Of course! Just make sure to put a link back to this page so your viewers can play, too.
If you post a link to the finished video, I'll be sure to share it on my social media as well :)
Died a lot on 1.2, but playing 1.3 it's a lot better. Here are some problems I have been having though (Windows build, if it matters):
- Info for Weapons shows "1d4 Damage" for example. I assume that's not correct? I don't play many games like this, maybe it means something.
- Resizing the window with special effects on turns the entire screen black, unable to do anything from that point, had to close and restart (Just tested this again and things still work since I managed to navigate the menu and save, but it's just black when you go back to continue)
- Enemies don't seem to be able to walk through doors even if they are open
- Found this door
- Also either screenshots with P don't work or I can't find where it saves them
- And I just crashed moving into what I believe was the 6th Floor
Overall I had fun with it though, I look forward to playing future builds.
Side note, I don't like the camera in some situations. It can be a fairly large room and being able to only see the opposite corner of the room that I want to is frustrating. Hopefully that makes some sense, if not I'll try and draw an example for you.
Thanks for the bug reports, ayaya33! I'm glad you had fun, but sorry you encountered those bugs.
I'll try and fix them in the future.
Okay! I've fixed the crash on the 6th floor and the resizing bug. Thanks for your bug reports.
I also tweaked the camera so you stay more in the center of the screen.
Also, 1d4 is a notation used in a lot of tabletop roleplaying games. It refers to multi-sided dice where the number before the 'd' is the number of dice to roll and the number after it is the number of sides each die should have. Therefore 1d4 means "one four-sided die" (which gives a value between 1 and 4).
Enemies not being able to walk through open doors is probably a bug, but we'll pretend that they're just really afraid of doors for now, how's that? :)
For the screenshots, open a File explorer and try typing %appdata%/LOVE/neilmakesgames-dungeon-of-flowers into the address bar and see if that takes you to a folder with the screenshots. (Note that it won't work on a bugged screen like the one you posted on imgur with all the errors.)
I had a feeling the "1d4" thing wasn't a bug, but just to be sure I mentioned it anyway, thanks for the explanation.
I found the %appdata%/LOVE/ folder but no neilmakesgames-dungeon-of-flowers folder is there. I'm using the itch.io downloader thing, maybe it moves it?
I'll have another play now and give more feedback if there is anything to note, thanks for the fast fixes!
I bet it has to do with the itch app sandbox. I'll look into it. Thanks!
Edit: It looks like the itch app creates another Windows user for security, so maybe the screenshots are being saved in that user's folder: https://itch.io/docs/itch/using/sandbox/windows.html